Inspired from the summer our family spent in the south of France and the classic Croque Madame...
this delicious dish is an easy brunch item or quick snack that everyone will surely love.
15 - 20 Min
- 4 basic crepes about 10 “ round- see recipe-you will need to vary the size
- 1/2 Cup of Gruyere cheese
- 1/2 Cup of Bechamel or Mornay sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped chives
- 4 Large eggs
- 3-4 Slices of quality ham- thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Heat your basic crepes, place flat on parchment-lined large baking sheets.
- Smear a thin layer of Bechamel or Mornay sauce in the center, leaving about 3/4 to 1 “of plain edge.
- Sprinkle cheese on top and layer your ham pieces, distributing evenly along the top of your cheeses.
- Carefully fold the edges of crepe over-center slightly, leaving the middle exposed. The cheese and sauce should act like glue to keep them folded down, but if you have trouble with them staying put, you can use small toothpicks to keep in place.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and place in the oven for 5-10 minutes or until cheese has melted and ham looks browned.
- While the crepes are in the oven, fry your eggs on medium-high heat in a large skillet with a little butter.
- Fry until whites are firm but yolks still runny. Set pan aside when done.
- Remove crepes from oven and use a large spatula to place them on plates for serving.
- Top each with 1 egg.
- Garnish with chives and serve with a simple arugula salad tossed with French Balsamic vinaigrette or a classic Caesar dressing.
Notes:You can do variations with caramelized onions and Chanterelle mushrooms.
Sub the basic crepe with buckwheat crepes for savory dishes if you choose.