Get this Bowl: Marcus indigo blue bowl
This classic French sauce works for many dishes such as our Million $ Lasagna or Open-Faced Croque Madame/Monsieur and is also the base for a Mornay sauce..
4 or about 2 cups
- 1 ¼ Cups of milk
- ¼ Cup of All-Purpose Flour
- ¼ Cup of Butter
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2-3 grinds of fresh Nutmeg (optional)
- Salt & Pepper to taste (about 1//2 Tsp & 2-3 grinds of pepper)
- In a small saucepan, heat milk with bay leaf over low heat until just below boiling point, then remove from heat and discard the bay leaf.
- In another small saucepan, heat the butter over medium heat until melted.
- Add flour and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring frequently until a light golden color has formed.
- When your roux looks ready, remove from heat and gradually stir in warm milk.
- Return to low heat and cook for about 5-10 minutes stirring often to keep from burning or separating.
- When the sauce is thick and smooth, add salt & pepper and if you chose, nutmeg. ( I love it with a hint of nutmeg, but because my son is allergic to nuts so we most often skip this step.)
- Stir well and remove from heat and serve.