Boca del Rio Rice
Shop this look: Clay factor candy bowl
Cyprus Sunset Dip-Dyed Bamboo Placemat
This spin on a traditional Spanish/Mexican rice was inspired by a recipe shared by a good friend many years ago...Perfect for taco night- it’s a fool-proof recipe for any Mexican meal requiring a hearty side dish
- 1/2 C. White Rice- We use Mahatma extra long grain rice
- 1 C. Yellow Rice
- 2 C. Water plus extra if needed
- 1 C. Chicken Broth
- 2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 Small yellow onion-Chopped
- 3 Cloves of garlic-Chopped
- 4-6 Mini sweet peppers-de-seeded and cut into lengthwise slices
- 1 6oz. can of tomato paste
- 1/2 Tsp. Hot sauce (lime or garlic Cholula sauce works well)
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh Cilantro-Chopped
- 1 Lime-Cut into wedges
- Using a large pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and rice to the pot.
- Stir well to coat the rice with oil.
- Continue to stir consistently until rice begins to brown, then add tomato paste and stir well.
- Add salt, water, hot sauce, and chicken broth and stir well until tomato paste has been thoroughly mixed in.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium-low for 5 minutes.
- Stir rice and lay your sliced peppers on the top.
- Recover and let simmer for another 10-15 minutes, checking periodically to make sure your rice is not sticking to pan or getting too dry. If your rice needs some moisture add a few teaspoons of water to the rice and stir well.
- Re-cover and let the rice continue to cook. After another 5 minutes is up, check if rice is done - rice should be fluffy and soft.
- If the rice is ready, then remove from heat and let stand covered for 5-10 minutes to cool.
- Add the chopped Cilantro and fluff with a large spoon or fork.
- Spoon rice into a large serving bowl and squeeze fresh lime on top.
- Serve warm.
Rice can easily be prepared with all white rice if you prefer.