Basic Brown Gravy
This easy brown gravy sauce is ideal for any comfort food dish from
classic poutine to roasted chicken dinner or add some assorted mushrooms
for a delicious schnitzel and mash...
- 3 Tbsp. of butter
- 4 Tbsp. of flour
- 2 Cups of beef broth
- 1 Cup Chicken bone broth
- 1-2 Tbsp. of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Finely chopped Shallot
- Cracked fresh black pepper
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt your butter. Then add the flour whisking often until a nice dark golden brown roux forms, about 7-8 minutes.
- Add the shallots and whisk about a minute.
- Add Worcestershire sauce and keep whisking another 1-2 minutes.
- Then add both chicken and beef broths to saucepan and pepper then continue to whisk until it comes to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
Set aside and reheat if needed with the assembly of poutine.
- If your gravy is not as thickening as you would like, try adding a mixture of - 2 Tbsp. of cornstarch and 1 Tbsp. Of water and whisk until your sauce thickens up.
- A mushroom variation can be made with this recipe by adding 1 Cup of shiitake mushrooms with the onions and 1 minced garlic clove and substituting the beef broth with chicken broth or mushroom broth if using dehydrated mushrooms instead.