Chocolate Dream Ice Box Cake
Shop this look: Sara Miller London Plate
This classic party cake boomed from the 30’s to the 50’s, but gets a modern make-over with style and is so good you won't be able to stop eating it!
30 Min. plus 24 Hrs refrigeration time
- 3 Boxes of Nabisco chocolate wafers (this gives you a buffer for broken cookies)
- 3 Cups heavy cream
- 1/4 C. Confectioners sugar
- 1/4 C. Premium cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp of Pure Bourbon Vanilla Extract (Trader Joe’s) you can also sub with Pure Vanilla extract
- 1 Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate bar for chocolate shavings- chilled for at least 1 hour.
- Fresh strawberries or berries of choice for garnish -Optional
- In a large bowl, use a hand mixer or electric mixer on high, to whip your heavy cream, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and powdered sugar until soft peaks form.
- Set the bowl aside for cake assembly.
- Begin by lining a 10" x 13” or larger baking dish or serving plate with parchment paper cut to about 8” x 11” or you can use decorative paper for a more refined look.
- Spread a thin layer of whipped cream on the paper and apply your first layer of cookies, 3 rows of 4 cookies long.
- Spread another layer of whipped cream and then place 3 rows of 3 cookies staggered from the bottom row.
- Repeat this process about 10 times, you will want to end on a row of 4 cookies, making sure you have enough whipped cream for a final layer on top.
- Apply your last layer of whipped cream. At this point you may want to use a cake comb or whipped cream dispenser to create a decorative feeling to your outer and top layer of whipped cream before refrigeration. We used a cake comb for ours.
- Next, make your chocolate shavings and place on top of your cake- see tips below.
- Cover with a lid or plastic wrap w/o touching the cake and place carefully in your refrigerator overnight to set.
- Take your refrigerated bar and place upside down on a cutting board lengthwise facing up.
- Take the flat side of a large kitchen knife, and starting at the top of the bar, scrape from top to bottom in short strokes multiple times with your blade tilted against the chocolate bar to make nice shavings.
You can stabilize your bar by moving cutting board against your stomach and lean against counter for added safety.
- You can also use a vegetable peeler to make curls using the side of the chocolate bar or a small grater for a more rustic look.
- Serve with sliced strawberries or berries of choice for a refreshing pop.
-Classic Ice Box Cake can be made by omitting the cocoa powder from the whipped cream recipe above.
- You can also make this cake in a round shape for another fun flowery presentation!