Blue Corn Mexican Tortilla Soup
Shop this look: charlotte large low bowl
This heart warming and tummy soothing soup for the soul is perfect for curing a cold or cozying up by a fire on a cold winter’s eve..and best par, you can use up all those left overs
from roast chicken or thanksgiving turkey.
6-8 depending on the bowl size
- ½ Yellow onion-finely chopped
- ½-2 C. Shredded turkey or chicken
- 1 28oz. Can of Fire Roasted Tomatoes(with chilis optional for added spice)
- 2 6oz.Cans of tomato paste
- 5 Cups of chicken broth or split 1/2 bone broth and chicken stalk
- 1 C. Fire Roasted Corn(Trader Joes is a good option)
- 3-4 Sweet Peppers-De-seeded and finely chopped
- ¼ C. Chopped Jalapeño Peppers(We used sweet and spicy jalapeños)
- 1 Tsp. Chipotle Powder
- 1 Tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Tsp. Roasted Cumin Powder
- 4 Garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2-3 Grinds of fresh ground pepper
- 2 Tsp. of Kosher salt
- ⅓ C. Heavy cream
- 2-3 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh Cilantro- Chopped-Garnish
- ¼ C. Shredded Cheddar or Mexican Cheese Blend- Garnish
- 1 C. Blue Corn Tortilla Chips- Broken up (sub & regular tortilla chips if needed)
- 1 Ripe avocado-chopped-garnish
- A dollop of Mexican Crema-Optional
- Heat a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat and add 2-3 Tbsps. of Olive Oil.
- Add onions and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the sweet peppers and garlic and sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Add your jalapeño peppers and corn and stir well.
- Add the fire-roasted tomatoes, chicken stalk, and tomato paste and blend well until paste is dissolved.
- Add your cumin, cayenne, pepper, and chipotle powder and combine well.
- Last, add your shredded turkey or chicken and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a low simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the soup looks too thick, you can add more chicken stalk.
- After 30 minutes is up, add your heavy cream and mix well- let simmer another 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Serve into large soup bowls or low bowls and top with tortilla chips, shredded cheese, avocado, cilantro, and a dollop of crema if desired.