The Seoul Bowl
Inspired by my love of Korean BBQ and my Japanese roots...this next level Asian-fusion rice bowl will totally knock your socks off- Perfect for spicing things up any day of the week!
2.5 Hours (plus meat marinating time-1-2 hours or overnight)
2-4 (depending on serving bowl size)
- 2 Jade Rice
- 1-1.9 Ibs. Boneless Pork Ribs
- 1 C. Kalbi Sauce-see recipe below plus
- 1/4 C. for vegetable sauté
- 4-5 Green onions/scallions chopped
- 1 C. Shiitake mushrooms-sliced
- 1 Large shallot-chopped
- 1 Small bunch of broccolini-stems cut and chopped into large pieces
- 1 Small yellow zucchini-sliced
- 1 Large garlic chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Soy sauce
- 1-2 Tbsp. Asian sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 Tsp. Black sesame seeds-garnish
- 1/2 Tsp. sesame seeds-garnish Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp. of butter
- 2-4 Farm fresh eggs
- 1/4-1/2 C. Micro greens- garnish
- Sriracha, Soy Sauce, Yuzu Mayo- for garnish
- 1 C. Soy Sauce
- 1 C. Apple juice
- 1/2 C. Mirin
- 4 Garlic cloves-finely minced
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. Asian sesame oil
- 1/4 Yellow onion-sliced
- 1/4 Tsp. Sichuan oil-Chinese hot oil
- 1/4 Tsp. Red chili flakes
- 1/2 Tsp. Fresh grated ginger
- 1 Tsp. Toasted sesame seeds
Kalbi Sauce Recipe Preparation:
- Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl until well combined. You can store in air tight container for 1-2 weeks in refrigerator until use.
Oven Roasted Ribs Preparation:
- For marinating ribs: put ribs in a large zip-lock bag and pour enough sauce over ribs to coat completely. Reserve 1/4-1/2 cup of Kalbi for veggies and store marinated meats bag in fridge for 1-2 hours or overnight for best flavor.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Line a large, deep metal baking pan with 2 sheets of heavy duty foil- allowing enough foil on sides to close it.
- Place ribs top side up in pan and close foil on top, leaving a small vent.
- Cook for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven, and carefully open foil and fold the edges of foil back.
- Coat generously with marinade and place back in the oven on top shelf.
- Broil on high for 2-3 minutes or until a nice charred top forms.
- Remove from oven and re-cover the foil.
- Reduce heat to 250 degrees F. and return pan to the oven for about a half hour.
- Check meat, if it looks done (easy to cut or pull apart the pieces) then remove from oven and let stand with foil closed until serving time. If it's not done, then return to oven with heat off and let it continue to cook while you are cooking the rest.
- When you are ready to assemble your bowl, cut/pull apart your ribs into pieces and set aside on a plate.
Rice Bowl Preparation:
- Prep and cut your veggies.
- In a medium large sauce pan with a lid- combine 2 cups of Jade rice and 3 cups of water with 1 Tsp. of salt.
- Stir and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to a low simmer and cover.
- Cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to keep from sticking to bottom of pan.
- If the bottom sticks, you may add a little more water to keep from burning.
- Remove from heat and let stand covered until ready to serve. Fluff before serving.
- While your rice is cooking, heat a large skillet with 1 Tbsp. of olive oil and 1-2 tablespoons of Asian sesame oil over medium heat.
- Add your shallots and sauté for 2 minutes or until translucent.
- Add garlic, mushrooms, broccolini, and zucchini and sauté for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add soy sauce and stir in 1/4 C. Kalbi sauce.
- Cover and reduce heat a bit and let simmer for 10-15 minutes, add your green onions and cook until your broccolini has turned bright green and vegetables are tender.
- Once your vegetables are done remove from heat, add your sesame seeds, salt & pepper and mix well.
- Cover and set aside.
- It’s time to fry up your eggs. - Using a large skillet over medium heat- melt 1 Tbsp. of butter. Once melted, carefully crack open each egg and add to your hot skillet making sure to leave space in between them. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and fry up until the whites are firm, but yolks still runny.
- Fill large bowls with a few heaping spoonfuls of Jade rice.
- Layer with your sautéed vegetables.
- Add 2-3 pieces of charred ribs.
- Top with your sunny side up egg- it's best with it slightly under so the egg yolk is runny- it will most likely keep cooking a bit on top of the hot rice and veggies.
- Drizzle with Sriracha and a bit of Soy Sauce or Yuzu Mayo and serve it up hot!
- Optional: Serve with kimchi and other favorite Korean side dishes.
You may also BBQ the ribs directly on grill for extra flavor. - Place over direct heat and close lid. Flip every 5 minutes until internal temperature is 145-150 degrees- about 20 minutes total. Coat generously with Kalbi sauce on both sides the last few minutes on grill.