Spicy Bahn Mi-t ball Subs
Shop this look: Brown reactive stoneware platter
This dish is a spin on a Vietnamese street food classic- the Bahn Mi sandwich. It's a spicy, fun, and easy to make dish...but bring a lot of napkins to the table and get ready for a little primal mess that is truly delicious!
- 8 Oz. of ground turkey
- 8 Oz. of ground pork
- 1/2 Small potato- Shredded- about 3/4 C.
- 2 Tsp. of butter
- Salt and cracked fresh black pepper
- 4 Open top rolls or submarine rolls
- 1 Recipe of spicy mayo
- 1 Recipe of Asian slaw
- 1 Recipe Char Sui sauce
- 1 C. of fresh Cilantro-Coarsely chopped
- 4 Wedges of fresh lime
Pickled Asian Slaw Ingredients & Instructions:
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and set aside or refrigerate until use.
- 1/2 C. rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. Sugar
- 1 C. Shredded cucumber
- 1 C. Shredded carrots
Char Sui Sauce Ingredients & Instructions:
Whisk all in a medium bowl and set aside.
- 1/4 Cup Hoisin
- 3 Tbsp. Honey
- 2 Tbsp. Soy sauce
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. Chinese rice wine
- 1 Tsp. Chinese Five Spice- See our Asian spice kit
Spicy Mayo Ingredients & Instructions:
Combine in a small bowl and store in the refrigerator until use.
- 2/3 Cup of mayonnaise
- 2 Tsp. of Sriracha
- 1 Tsp. of fresh lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Make your slaw by-See above. •
- Prepare Char Sui sauce and spicy mayo and set aside-See above.
- Prepare your meatballs:
- Peel and coarsely grate your potato and place on a large paper towel and squeeze out as much moisture as you can.
- In a large mixing bowl combine your ground pork, ground turkey(or beef), and potatoes.
- Scooping with clean hands, make small round meatballs around the size of a golf ball and place 2 inches apart on a large lipped baking sheet.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place on the middle rack of your oven and cook for about 15-20 minutes or until they begin to brown.
- Remove from oven and generously brush Char Sui sauce over all of the meatballs and cook for another 5-10 minutes.
- For added char- place under broiler for 2-3 minutes on high, keeping an eye on them to keep from burning.
- Remove from oven and check one to make sure they are cooked through.
- If ready, remove meatballs and set aside.
- Cut each roll from the top and carefully pull open & scoop some of the bread from the middle out and discard. Place rolls on a baking sheet.
- Lightly spray the rolls with olive oil spray and place them in your oven for about 2-5 minutes on 350 degrees F.
- Remove and let cool.
- Slather about a teaspoon or more of spicy mayo onto each roll.
- Place 2-3 meatballs in rolls.
- Drain your pickled slaw and take a small handful and place on top of the meatballs.
- Garnish with a generous amount of fresh cilantro and serve hot.