Sweet & Savory Peppers Galette
This morning treat is a quick and easy spin on your
traditional galette... the perfect way to start your morning with a smile!
- 4-5 Mini sweet peppers- seeded and cut into julienne slices
- 4 Large eggs
- 1/4 cup red onion thinly sliced
- 1 A sheet of puff pastry- thawed and rolled out to about a 12 x 12" square
- 1/2 Cup of Oaxaquena Crema (we used El Mexicano) -Creme Fraiche or sour cream is also an easy sub.
- 1/4 Cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 Cup of diced Pancetta
- 1 Tsp. Herb de Provence
- 1 Tbsp. of butter
- 1 Egg lightly beaten-for pastry
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Thaw puff pastry
- Take you pastry dough and roll out on a floured surface until it is about 12x12” square.
- Transfer dough carefully to a parchment lined baking sheet and cut into 4 even squares.
- Use a knife or pizza cutter to gently score a 1/4” edge along each square, making sure not to cut all the way through. We like to slightly curl/twist each corner too for added design.
- Prick the dough a few times in the middle of the square with a fork and place sheet in the fridge for about 15 minutes to set.
- While the pastry is in fridge, cook your filling.
- In a medium skillet, heat 1 tbsp. of butter over medium heat.
- Add the Pancetta and simmer for 2 minutes or until they begin to brown
- Then add your onions, salt, and pepper, and sauté for 2 minutes covered.
- Add the sweet peppers and Herb de Provence, and a bit more butter if the pan seems dry. Cover, and sauté for 5 more minutes, remove from heat and drain your filling on a paper towel to soak up extra oils.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Remove your pastry from fridge and brush with your lightly beaten egg all over your edges
- Spoon 1 Tsp. of crema in the middle of each square, then spoon your peppers filling on top. Be sure to leave the edges clean and create a small well in center of your mixture for the egg to be added later.
- Bake in oven for 10 minutes or until edges begin to puff and brown slightly.
- Remove from oven and carefully crack your egg into each well in the center of your galettes.
- Sprinkle some of your grated Parmesan cheese on top,a bit of cracked pepper and salt, and place back in the oven for another 10 minutes or until egg whites have set and are firm but yolk is still runny.
- Remove from oven and garnish with a bit more Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley.
- Drizzle with some flavored olive oil- lemon or herb is aromatic & nice-See where to find below...
• * Serve with a simple Arugula salad or micro greens with balsamic/olive oil.
Notes:You can do many variations with this recipe- caramelized onions and Chanterelle mushrooms is a great spin.
You can also do vegetarian version by omitting the Pancetta.